Verywell tested 80 online therapy providers and found 13 of the best ones.
Many people can benefit from online therapy sessions, it should be be convenient for everyone, fitting each individuals unique therapy needs. Estimates suggest around 70% of Americans can not access traditional therapy due to complex barriers including cost, transportation issues and a shortage of therapists. Online therapy bridges the gap for those who seek mental health support. Research has shown that online therapy can be just as effective as in person therapy, and Therapists agree with these findings. “While individual preferences exist, most people can benefit from online therapy, with comparable outcomes to in-person sessions,” says Amy Marschall, PsyD, a clinical psychologist. The research was done by surveying over 10,000 users at 80 different online therapy directories. Then researchers signed up for those therapy services and tested them for one month, questionnaires were also sent to each company, and with the help of three licensed therapists the 13 best online services were compiled.
13 Best Online Therapy Services of 2023
- Best for Availability: BetterHelp
- Best for Couples: ReGain
- Most Comprehensive: Talkspace
- Best for Psychiatry: Talkiatry
- Best for Anxiety and Depression: Brightside
- Most Affordable: E-Therapy Cafe
- Best for Flexibility: Thriveworks
- Best Range of Specialties: LifeStance Health
- Best With Insurance: Teladoc
- Best for Family Therapy: Little Otter
- Best for LGBTQIA+: National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network
- Best for Black Communities: Therapy For Black Girls
- Best Without Insurance: Open Path Collective
If you are interested in trying out online therapy reach out to your health care provider, or check out any of the 13 best online therapy services listed above.